Saturday, November 17, 2012

Trapping Update

I have been very busy lately, so I don't have much time for stories, but thought I would let everyone know that trapping has been going pretty good.  I had picked up one fisher and then on my next check, I had a three fisher day.  I have never picked up three fisher on the same day, so I was pretty excited to say the least!  There has always been something about the fisher that has fascinated me.  I am not sure if it is their elusive nature, or their "top dog" status in our north woods of Maine, but the "black cat" has always piqued my interest.  In certain areas, I had been noticing what seemed to be a decrease in populations, but it appears to be on the rebound now.  I don't know if that is due to the limit restrictions that have been placed on them or just the poor trapping conditions that we experienced last year, giving them a year to restock.  Keep in mind my sample size is very low and restricted to areas that I trap.  Anyway I look at it, I am happy with four fishers in the skinning shed!



4 comments:

  1. I want one as my pet!!...ok maybe not, but seriously, those are some sharp nails. Keep up the good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably not the best pet, but I am having one mounted so I can enjoy it for a long time!

      Delete
  2. Nice work! I can't wait to get into trapping!

    I've seen more fisher in the woods during the past couple years than ever before during deer season. I'd say their population is increasing nicely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It is definitely one of my favorite outdoor activities and one I would highly recommend.

      Glad to hear that my hypothesis might expand outside of my limited sample area. They are a really neat animal and I would enjoy seeing them thrive!

      Delete