Sunday, January 5, 2014

Seasons Efforts

I just thought I would share a picture of my fur that I was fortunate enough to catch this year.  It was the best year I have had on the water thus far with 2 mink, 3 otter, 10 beaver and 33 rats.  The marten numbers were brutally low.  Everyone I spoke with said they weren't seeing any pine marten sign anywhere.  I think these little fellers have been hit hard the last couple of years, due to the higher prices.  As I stopped in to Ben's Trading Post on Friday to drop off my fur, the number of trappers lined up surprised me.  In talking with Ben, the number of trappers was way up, but the number of furs each trapper brought in were down.  I am sure this is typical of most years following high prices at the auctions as it gets lots of people excited to get out and catch fur and adds quite a bit of competition.  I have to say that while the money is nice, it is the love of it that keeps pulling me back year after year!


White Spot on a Beaver

Stay tuned for some upcoming ice fishing!

4 comments:

  1. Those look awesome Chris!! Well done! Lots of hours of work in there...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brent! It sure is a lot of hours in those, but it is fun.

      Delete
  2. Beavers who read The Wall Street Journal get white patches of hair.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will have to keep that in mind and hide any copies I see on the pond banks. I can't afford to be downgraded on more than one for color!

      Delete