Tuesday, September 4, 2018

Spring Adventure - St. John River Canoe Trip

Early spring found our vehicle pointed into the North Maine Woods with a canoe strapped to the top.  Our destination was some of the upper reaches of the St. John River.  I love the St. John River and have spent countless hours on the lower stretches before it crosses completely into Canada, but I had never been on the upper portion, so I was really looking forward to checking out some new country.  We were also fortunate enough to be going with some really great people who knew the country like the back of their hands, as well as it's very interesting history.  I won't bore everyone with my rambling musings as I don't believe the vocabulary exists to describe how cool of a trip this is, I will let the pictures do most of the talking, and I would challenge everyone to go check out the scenery and the history on this fabulous stretch of river.  I am definitely looking forward to extending our "river rat" territory to the entire length of the river, but in a slow and exploratory nature to really check out and experience the history that surrounds you in what seems like an untouched land.  The year of 2018 we covered from Red Pine to Seven Islands, with hopefully new areas in years to come!

The Launch at Red Pine



Plaque on Blanchet Bridge


The Makings of a Picnic Table


After Construction





Camille Beaulieu's Trapping Cabin


Evidence of a Long Ago Farm 


Steam Shovel Used for Major Construction Projects of the Day










No comments:

Post a Comment