Sunday, July 7, 2013

Finally! Muskellunge!

After many hours this year in pursuit of the toothy fish that call the St. John their home, I finally was able to connect with one. It was my first one of the year.  Brent and I were fishing one of our favored bass locations when we saw a yard long fish rushing the shoreline.  As the fish rolled it was apparent that it was a nice muskie.  We proceeded to cast everything but the kitchen sink over the area.  While we did hook into a couple of nice bass, the muskie was no where to be found.  After half an hour we assumed it was long gone.  As we started the motor, I decided to troll the current line along the edge of the hole before we headed to the next hole.  Trolling the whole length of the hole, there were no strikes, but just as I prepared to reel in, the rod doubled over and the fight was on.  The fish was a nice one, good and thick and over 37" long.  Now I have caught the first one of the year.  That is always the toughest one, so hopefully there will be lots more to come.  I have some really nice video footage of the fish that I should have functioning early this week.  Stay tuned, as there are also a couple more trips to catch everyone up on!



4 comments:

  1. Congratulations on catching that fish.

    I only tapped a muskie on the head that was loafing/lethargic under the ice to get it to go away so I could fish. Never been any closer to one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Everything but the kitchen sink" is right! Couldn't have thought of a better way to say it myself :P Hopefully we'll land more of these bad boys soon enough!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! Next time you should try hooking onto it! They are a lot of fun to catch. Never tried for them through the ice, sounds like a good challenge! They look lethargic at times, but when they want to they can explode at the drop of a hat!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We worked hard for that alright Brent! Let's hope this one is just the tip of the iceberg!

    ReplyDelete