Monday, September 18, 2017

Beaver Trapping...A First

Beaver trapping has long been a favorite pastime of mine for quite a while now and even though the fur market is in the tank and there is no money in it, I thought it would be a perfect time to get my son  involved.  We started with the open water season as it is a bit easier for a young fellow and I didn't want to discourage him.  A couple of sets of dry clothes after falling in, after all a four year old has to see how close he can get to the slippery mud that Dad warned him of, and a couple of nights of the traps soaking and we had our first beaver in a run that Drake had personally approved of.  He was so happy he bounced all the way back to the truck.  He made an honest effort to drag it, and while it was a small beaver, those suckers are still heavy, so a team lift was in order to get it the rest of the way out.  I couldn't be happier to be spending quality time with my son passing on a time honored tradition and one that I thoroughly enjoy!  Let's hope he is hooked from here on in!


No comments:

Post a Comment