Tuesday, December 12, 2017

Trapping Season 2016

I am working to get the blog caught up and there are lots of exciting stories on tap, as we had a very busy 2017, so check back often!

Aside from the beaver trapping that we undertook, we also tried our hand at some of the lynx exlusion devices as well and while frustrating, it did give us some excitement and experiences. 

One experience that really stood out was a male fisher that I caught in a foothold trap.  At first glance, I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary and was just pleased to see the black blur bouncing around.  As I got closer though something seemed odd and then I noticed he was adorned with jewelry as I saw two bright shiny tags in his ears.  After a quick check of the regulations that I could indeed harvest the animal I quickly dispatched it and investigated.  After getting the information, I excitedly contacted the biologist for some information.  After some double checking we finally deduced that it had been tagged about a month before by some federal biologists doing some rabies testing work.  That wasn't that shocking, but when we double checked the locations, my jaw hit the floor as it had been tagged almost 80 miles away.  It was 33 days from the day he was tagged to the day I caught him and 76 miles as the crow flies!  Unbelievable movement for him!








No comments:

Post a Comment